Thursday, December 10, 2009

All quiet on the home front.

Its been a quiet week on the home front. I've been settling into my routine of being on my own. Its really very similar to when I have Bradley there except a lot more relaxed - no homework, no one asking 'what's for supper?' or 'When are we going to eat?'. When I get home I put on the tv. When I get up I put on the radio because....its a bit quiet...
News of the week.
I attended the big carol service at The Pavilion shopping centre on Tuesday evening. I was invited by my parents and dad said he would treat me to supper at their favourite restaurant. The other two invited guests were my parents friends, another elderly couple. Nothing like going out with four older people to make you feel like a spare wheel. The carol service was pleasant except it was too dark to read the hymn sheet and the audience carried on talking even during the childrens' narrations. I know its held at a shopping centre but its not just entertainment. If you cant keep quiet while the choir and the children are trying to complete the programme that they have practised then why not just leave. And during the meal, the parents and their friends talked amongst each other and I mainly just ate (rump steak with veg. and chips - tasty) or stared into space! Maybe give it a miss next time.
I have been trying to get the kittens weaned this week as I want to take their mom, Kittykie in for spaying and I know she won't want to feed them once she has the operation. The two ginger kittens have taken to eating out of a bowl very quickly but the little beige chap just didn't want to know. Every time I guided his face to the bowl he would brace himself and pull back. I decided to use some tactics and made a visit to the vet. The lady there didn't really know but I just asked her to show me the food they prescribe when kitties don't want to eat as they have been ill. I bought a tin of Hills Prescription Diet for R13.00. When all the others were fed last night, I dished up a small portion and went through to the bedroom so the others couldn't follow. I held little Beige on my lap and with some food on a teaspoon, just touched his mouth. He licked his mouth and then sniffed the spoon and then consented to eat off the spoon. I placed the food onto a plate and he ate off the plate too. Success! In the morning, I dished the food directly onto the plate and put some food that the others eat onto the plate too with a little milk. Warmed all up for a couple of seconds and he ate again like a champ. I think the ice is broken now.
My sister suffered a bad fall at work and has broken both bones in her one leg close to her ankle. She works in reception and their cleaning lady had mopped the floor and she hadn't seen that and fell. She was operated on this afternoon and we will probably visit her tonight. She has had to have a pin placed in the one bone and a plate in the other so she will be out of action for some time to come. This has really placed a damper on her Christmas celebration and year end leave.
Its raining again this afternoon. We had a sunny day on Sunday and a couple of dry days thereafter. I surveyed my jungle on Sunday morning and honestly didn't know where to start. My mom phoned and I got a little tearful, feeling sorry for myself because its only me to tackle my whole huge steep overgrown yard. My mom sent Greg around to cut my grass even though it was Sunday and he doesn't usually cut grass on Sunday. I was home, feeling a bit better. I got over myself and just started cutting the area around the house. I told Greg I hadn't expected him that day and he said 'Well mom said you were upset'. Its amazing how much better I felt by just having the lawn cut. Then on Tuesday my dad had his worker Derek slashing my banks and although its a rough cut it looks A LOT better. Thanks Family...again.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it azing how little things can make all the difference sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith - Its so true isn't it. When it comes down to it, life is reduced to small things, small steps, small joys. We don't need big to make us feel better. We just need to appreciate each other and all the little things we do for each other that ultimately make us feel better about living in this crazy world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you have family. They sound wonderful. And how patient you are with the little kitten, good that he's eating. My son broke his ankle walking in the rain a few years back, he has two pins driven through the entire length of his leg bone. When it rains it hurts him something awful. He was out of commission for a while. Hope your sister doesn't suffer too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to have some quiet time to yourself. My favorite thing is not having to jump up to get supper for others when you just want to finish your book!
    It's good to have supportive family.
    It seems there is never a dull moment there. Sorry to hear about your sister's nasty accident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! for little beige-y! i love it when they're just starting to eat. also when they start drinking because they always have to freak out when it gets on their nosey. hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you want me to bring some bunnys to help with the over grown garden problem???

    And Ill bring you some noisy boys next week!

    Love you mommy!

    ReplyDelete