Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools Day was no joke at all!

The 'sick jokes' started early...

On Saturday evening, I went with Robynne to a local pub where she was meeting friends for drinks and the plan was for me to return and collect her later on in the evening. I had put off the lights between 8.30 and 9.30pm and set my alarm for 10pm because I knew I would drop off to sleep in the dark after a busy day. Just before the alarm went off, Robynne phoned to say I wouldn't need to fetch her because she and her friends were moving to another bar further down the road and that Marco, who had been at a separate gathering with his friends, would be fetching her. I went back to sleep and the next thing I knew, Robynne was phoning again to ask if Marco had come home. This was now 12.30am and I told her that I hadn't seen or heard him come home.

Apparently, on his way to fetch her, he changed down gears as he was driving and his gearbox just started making horrible metallic grinding noises. He cruised to the side of the road and was out of action. The idea was for him to phone for a tow truck to bring the car home, fetch her car and drive back to fetch her. He eventually arrived with the car on a flatbed truck at about 1am, changed his clothes and left to fetch Robynne. I think they eventually only got back home at 3.30am.

The second April Fools disaster was waking to no electricity and freezing winds. I got up but soon decided to return to bed to wait and see if the electricity would come on soon. I heard some noises from the dogs in the lounge but when I eventually came through again, discovered shredded foam rubber carpeting the lounge floor. Bebe the doberman had scratched the lounge chair cushion right through to the webbing and caused a huge amount of damage. Marco had discovered this and put the dogs outside but the damage was done! And the electricity was still off!

I decided to clean up to keep myself busy and this took a couple of hours. We discovered that two of the other miniature pinscher doggies are sick so this is number four. And the electricity only eventually came back on at about 2pm.

So, tomorrow when I start work, because we now only have one car, we all three have to leave together at 6am to get Robynne to work in Midrand. She starts at 7.30am. Then drive back to get Marco to work in Randburg, drop him and I drive back to North Riding to start work at about 7.50am - complete circle. Then repeat that in the afternoon. I only finish at 4.30pm as does Robynne so she and Marco will just have to wait as I negotiate traffic to get back to them. I would rather have the car and do the driving than wait though. :) And on top of this, just saw a news broadcast on that petrol and diesel prices rise steeply this week - Again!

Happy April...!

Momcat xx


  1. Ai, sorry to hear about that and gosh , yes rather cold today

  2. Thanks Cat. Not a very good day today although it did warm up a bit. Still all of the other stuff is a negative blow.

  3. You know what they say, "When it rains, it pours.' Seems like you got a good soaking with the dogs, the car and the electricity. Dry out and have a great first day at work.

  4. sounds like to me thatyou had a visit from Detroit's Le Rouge Nain.

  5. woa! Murphy knows your address. I hope April improves for you.

  6. we hate April fools day in our least I do!!! SOrry you had a rough time of it!