Monday, February 1, 2010

I see cats everywhere...

My office is situated on the first floor of our double storey building. The view from my narrow window is of the property next door which once was a residence but now stands vacant. I look out of the window whenever I return to my seat as I like to keep in touch with nature and the outside world. Sometimes I see birds, sometimes monkeys and sometimes a black and white cat. Today I looked out and on a pillar of the precast concrete wall was sitting a pitch-black cat staring in my direction. I talk to all cats that I see so I opened the window wider and then I saw, on the next pillar along, to the left of the black cat, a white and calico cat. And to the right of the black cat on another pillar, the white and black cat. Three cats in a row. I was enchanted. When I called to them with that universal cat call "swiss-swiss-swiss", three pairs of eyes swivelled to me and stared, with eyes like burning lamps. There's nothing that can stare quite like a cat. They're not human friendly, living wild. That doesn't stop me.
It really made my day to see them sitting there right across from me, almost as if they were waiting for me. I called my boss who came to look, saying "I've got to bring my pellet gun". I told him "Go away and don't be horrible". He doesn't have an appreciation for cats. He gave me a task to do and when I looked again the cats had gone. They had finished gracing me with their presence.

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Your boss will be sorry one day if he comes back as a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forever - It was a lovely experience, quite unusual. My boss would probably come back as a dog and then the cats would get him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also talk to every cat I see. There's a couple at our local shopping centre. One's friendly, the rest are skittish. It always makes me smile to get down on my knees and swiss swiss at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my friend from Australia says swiss swiss swiss to her cats...I had never heard it before that, til now

    ReplyDelete